Monday, June 10, 2013

4/27/2013. - Day 32 - How Long Gone (Are You Gonna Be) Who shot J.R.?

4/27/2013. - Day 32 -
How Long Gone (Are You Gonna Be)
Who shot J.R.?

Today marks one month gone for me. One month ago I stepped out of my apartment and into the frosty March air. I walked towards my pickup, which was covered in frost due to the near 0° temperature, and climbed in for the trip of a lifetime. When I left I had no idea what would happen, how I would feel, or how long gone I would be. One month into it I feel as though the time has flown by and that day in March out in the frosty ND air seems so far away.

Donna and I take time in the morning to drive to her new house and peek in the windows like poor beggars just hoping to catch a glimpse of a better life. We can’t see much, but the neighborhood is nice, and close to Target which of course seals the deal in my mind. The pickup has some appointments today so we drop that off and go appliance shopping so that Donna can cook and clean in her new locale. Luckily, Best Buy is also within close range.


The next stop was the Southfork Ranch, home of the TV series “Dallas.” While I had not previously heard of “Dallas,” I learned all about it on our tour of the ranch. It seemed strange that only a few minutes before, we had been driving through an urban maze of roadways and traffic and now we were in the middle of green pastures. The Southfork Ranch is like a slice of the country right in the middle of the fast lane that is Dallas.

We toured the ranch and the set for both the past and present filming of “Dallas.” Longhorns grazed just outside the farmhouse and we could look out over the whole property from the balcony above the pool. My favorite part of the whole day was time spent hugging a paint mare who I’m quite certain wanted to come home with me to ND to live happily ever after. Donna is not fond of horses, or really of animals for that matter, but between her getting to see the ins and outs of “Dallas” in all its glory, and me getting to spend some quality time with the horses, we both had a pretty good day.



You should have a rock in case a
longhorn attacks you. I learned
this from Steve in Oklahoma.



 There is a nature preserve that is filled with trails and picnic areas just minutes from Donna’s new house. We took time later in the afternoon to walk the trails and explore this area. It will be protected from any development so it’s neat that there is almost some “country” area right by her house. The conveniences of the city are great, but it’s also nice to leave that behind under the cover of trees and grassy meadows when you go home.






Tonight, we explore “The Shops at Legacy.” It appears this is the place to be. Gorgeous little boutiques, specialty stores, and restaurants of every kind line the streets. The area is buzzing with activity and also features a fountain that displays various colors and water features. Nightlife is starting to take shape as the sun sets. We spend Saturday evening shopping. The evening air is warm and smells like a carnival with every kind of food you can imagine available and the sounds of conversation and laughter fill the air. 




We decide on a place for dinner and since it is indoors, make the short trek back to our parking spot so that I can grab my jeans before we dine. I know I will be freezing inside with the A/C. I opt to change in the car and Donna stands guard, though she quickly becomes impatient and somewhat loudly advises me “get your pants on so we can go eat!”. I hope that random passersby and others mulling around the area got a kick out of that exclamation, because I sure did.

Dinner is great, and we enjoy a little more quality time before departing back to the hotel for another night of "camping."

No comments:

Post a Comment