Friday, June 7, 2013

4/24/2013. - Day 29 - I guess Oklahoma is pretty O.K.


4/24/2013. - Day 29 -
I guess Oklahoma is pretty O.K.


I've chosen Altus, OK not for it's tourist attractions, but because my good friend, Steve, is currently there for in-flight refueling training for his work with the Air Force. Steve flies C-17s, AKA giant aircraft that can carry two army tanks inside with room to spare. His girlfriend, Jamie, also a good friend from college, has called to say that I'd better see Steve in Altus or I may not see him on my trip. They live in Charleston, SC, a stop ahead for me, but Steve will still be in training when I reach the East Coast.

After Steve and I stuff ourselves with as much breakfast as our bellies can hold, it’s off to run errands, mostly because I need more first aid for my feet. We drive to the base first, in search of more moleskin at the BX. They have basically zero supplies of anything, which I commented was odd since they should at least have first aid supplies. Isn't the military supposed to be able to provide aid to the injured? Steve confirms this but states I am not injured enough to warrant him helping me. He also states my blisters are disgusting, and so is using the “skin of moles” to cover my feet. Steve is not empathetic towards my situation, and he does not understand "Moleskin's" purpose in regard to blisters. Steve also did not climb out of the depths of hell two days ago. Steve does scarier things like try to put fuel into giant aircraft while in mid air. Steve is a badass. 

To make matters worse we now have to go to Walmart to find what we need. I despise Walmart but desperate times, you know? Steve has limited options for salon services in Altus, so he opts for a haircut while I gather the necessary items to tend to my wounds. We both exit the automatic doors with a feeling of self loathing. Steve hates his haircut, and I hate myself for going to Walmart. I guess this too shall pass.

Steve very much wants to go to the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge to get some hiking in, and so far none of his friends have wanted to accompany him on this expedition. I too want to go, but my feet do not. I wrap multiple layers of bandages over them and stuff them into my shoes hoping for the best. We make the short drive to the refuge and search for a good hiking spot. Steve has been here before and has a place in mind, but does not quite recall where it is. 

Bison and elk graze just off the road, and longhorns rest with their calves in the brush. The entire area is open range so we share the adventure with the wildlife. We decide on a trail that leads towards a watch tower and then stops short at an ascending pile of large rocks that appears to pose a good challenge for climbing. As we make our way up the trail towards the tower, we notice a longhorn and what appears to be twin calves. Steve picks up a large rock in case he needs to protect us. I ask if he has ever touched the head of a cow because if he has he would know that their forehead is every bit as hard as the rock in his hand. If his safety plan is bludgeoning the thing in the head in self defense, my safety plan now consists only of outrunning Steve. And chances are slim given my damaged means of transportation. I advise him that if it comes down to it, gouging at the longhorns eyes as it tries to gore him is likely going to be a better plan of defense. At which time I will be running limping in the opposite direction.

We arrive at the tower and find it is welded and boarded and shut up tight as can be. Steve and I both harbor too much curiosity and a slight tendency to push limits and break rules to stop at that, so we inspect all aspects of the tower in search of a way in. After examining the welds on the door, sticking my head in through the bars and trying to peek inside, and assessing the height of the windows, I give up and abandon the mission. Steve takes things a little further and attempts to scale the rock wall to a higher non barricaded window. I close my eyes and beg him to come down before he falls to his death.

Several yards off the base of the tower, there begins a series of huge rocks that pile up to the sky and appear ripe for climbing. We choose separate routes and race upwards. From the top we can see the vast expanse of the refuge mapped out below us. The sun is warm up on the rocks but the wind swirls and whips around us at this altitude. The climb up was pretty cool, but I’m opting for a simpler route down in order to keep some sort of ability to continue the day’s adventure with use left in my feet. We make our way down, watchful of setting our hands on lizards or stepping on rattle snakes. The longhorns have moved closer and I really want a better look at the cute little twins. Steve makes a comment that this will be the end of us. Some curious blonde that just had to get too close to the longhorns and wound up getting herself and her friend killed. This is how he tells the ending of our story if I keep it up.  Fine. I don’t want Steve to be gored to death after trying to bash in the skull of an angry mother longhorn all because I wanted to see a stupid baby cow.







Back in the truck, Steve states he has not had enough adventure yet, but is hungry. We venture to the famous Meers, an old mining town renowned for their “Meers Burgers” at the general store. The general store is in fact the entire town, built out of what is left from the mining days. Steve has raved about the peach cobbler, and settles on that plus a Meers burger. I opt for the coconut cream pie.



The new plan is to seek out at least one more spot to explore. We stop at one point and find the path washed out by recent rain. As we are about to give up and head back to Altus, we stop at one more path and settle on an expedition to “40 foot hole.” Many puns are made as we pick out the trail to our destination.




Forty Foot Hole is more like a canyon of rock formations with a stream running through it that breaks into little rapids and falls along the way. It is a great find and while not what we expected (I’m not sure what one should expect from a sign that says “to Forty Foot Hole” with an arrow pointing out the way), it provides a couple more hours of rock climbing. Several of the areas we journey into spark anxiety into me for fear of falling or losing my footing and tumbling into the water. I’m not sure there would be serious injury, but we are in the middle of nowhere in a rock canyon and I’ve already seen the limits in Steve’s willingness to tend to injury.


I call this one "Death Ledge"; as in "The
closer you get to that, the farther I'm
backing away," "I can't watch," "If
you keep going I'm calling Jamie
 
and telling on you," and "please
 come down from the death ledge."








The sun is going down as we conclude our climbing and bouldering. No one has fallen into the water or off of the cliffs. Sigh of relief.

I take the lead in the trail for the last section. I’m still watchful of the handholds and footholds I choose in consideration of the wildlife that may be lurking. In the last few minutes of our journey, I begin downward, posed to set my foot down onto a lower level of rocks, and then let out a shriek and recoil back, following my shriek with another that says “LIZARD!”.

I think it very courteous of me to at least identify the threat moments after I scream. Steve has jumped several feet away in one single motion and now stands across from me on a separate set of rocks, staring at me with a surprised and confused look. I offer an explanation for my behavior and point out the lizard. It has become obvious that Steve will offer his protection when it comes to cows with giant stabbing devices mounted on their heads, but not when it comes to creepy crawlies that startle both of us and cause me to emit shrieks that disrupt the park atmosphere. We step around the creature and move on without further discussion on the matter.

The drive home faces into the Oklahoma sunset and Steve opts for country roads and country music. It is April, and my country music season is generally late May or early June through August. But we are limited in radio stations due to our remote location, and the classic familiar country tunes are seeping into my heart. Steve is impersonating a dirt roads version of Jeff Gordon and I am singing along to the radio all the way back to Altus. Oklahoma is growing on me with it’s wide open spaces and back country roads. Feels like home.

When we return, there is some internet research to do on the watchtower from the wildlife refuge. It seems odd that there is a giant rock tower in the middle of nowhere boarded up and without any signage to identify its purpose. I am horrified at the discovery we make. Though there is limited information available, Jed Johnson Tower on Lake Jed Johnson is allegedly haunted. There have been accounts of people hearing a woman’s screams coming from the tower, and feeling as though ghosts were walking beside them when they would walk up the stairs when the building was open to the public. I am terrified because not only am I completely frightened of spooks, but I stuck my face into the bars in the door so my head was in the building.  CREEPY. Steve picks this moment to announce that he knew that place was creepy and couldn't believe I put my face in there. Dear Steve, thanks for telling me before I got ghost dust all over my nose. Now I won’t sleep tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment