Thursday, April 28, 2016

5/29/2013. - Day 64 - I can't be told, ah, ah, it can't be done...

5/29/2013. - Day 64 - I can't be told, ah, ah, it can't be done...
Grand Forks. Back at the old stomping grounds.



Sleep continues to evade me as has been the trend the last few days. I have been awakening to something foreign in the preceding weeks—humidity and hotness. It keeps me from burrowing further into my blankets to squeeze a few last moments of sleep in before the day beckons.

Moose the dog looks sad the way dogs do when they see you packing up a suitcase and know they are going to be alone. I pat Moose on the head before leaving Brian and Allison’s house. I again haul my belongings and stash them in the backseat and it feels like the hundredth time I’ve trudged up and down the walkway to someone’s house, or to and from a hotel or hostel door. Each day on the road finds that space more and more disheveled no matter how many times I stop to take everything out and organize it. This lasts a maximum of 4 hours and then chaos returns as soon as I need to reach something that is inevitably at the bottom. This level of constant disorganization has done wonders for my borderline OCD.

I navigate to my friend Amy’s apartment and put a call in to her daughter Mathea to come and let me in. I'm spending the day with Amy's daughters, Danae and Mathea. The apartment is dark upon entry and since it’s 10:30 in the morning I suggest that maybe we let a little light into the cave and open the curtains. Mathea presents me with “a list” for our day together, and we review it and begin to make a game plan. Amy has lunch at 11:30 so we decide on a picnic and subs at the park.




We have some spare time to explore and climb on the equipment. This reminds me that I am no spring chicken anymore. Mathea strategizes photo poses for us when Amy arrives so that she can be our photographer. Danae (who is older) is not largely concerned with participating in the whole situation but eagerly engages in a race to the top. I reach the top first and declare a tie between the two girls as they reach the summit as well. Amy will be arriving soon so we return from our adventures to set up the picnic blanket and ready the meal.

Amy strolls across the lawn to join us and after the girls have finished eating and abandoned us for the playground equipment, we chat and catch up. Amy is working on her Master’s degree in social work at UND which is really exciting. I can’t visit Grand Forks without wanting to relive some of my college days so I’m excited for her to get to experience UND life.

Too soon she has to return to the working world and after snapping a few shots of us swinging from the playground structures, she is gone. The girls and I return to the apartment to finalize our plans for the day. We have decided on a trip to the Girl Scout Store, time at the splash park, a water balloon fight, and dessert at Cherry Berry. I also squeeze in some time at a thrift shop near the Girl Scout Store to scout a few items that have been on my list.



Nope. 
Once at the thrift store, I recall a few lessons I've already been taught from my young sisters. I am learning that taking children into any kind of store is dangerous and difficult as they want to look at everything and subsequently want you to then purchase it. Mathea has chosen some lovely leopard print high heels that I’m sure her mother will be thrilled with if I indulge her and purchase them. More likely I will probably never be left to spend a day with these children again. No.



University Park: Too Crowded for Aquatic Warfare...
At the Girl Scout Store we spend lots of time debating over which items to get and then changing our minds and going through this whole process a half dozen times. The woman at the desk is very friendly and patient with us, and also suggests a neat park in East Grand Forks for us to check out. This ends up being our next stop and is a huge playground structure that we spend a half hour exploring. The girls ultimately decide that it is too packed with other small children so we move on to explore splash pools and plan our water balloon fight.

We make a quick stop at the dollar store to get a couple packs of balloons and then head for University Park. After scouting a little, this seems to be an acceptable setting, so we gather our supplies. We set up camp on a bench at the perimeter of the splash park, and begin loading ammunition. We lay out our weapons and establish guidelines. The rectangle of concrete is the battle zone. You may return for more balloons at your own risk, and you must pick up all pieces of broken balloons following the battle. Also, an essential rule is not to hit any innocent bystanders, and to be especially conscious of all the small children; all the while sprinting through the splash park around and through all the water features during aquatic warfare.


The fight begins and soon a dozen other children have joined in. I am now running from Danae and Mathea, who are bigger and more accurate, and a small posse of elementary school and preschool children who are hard to identify as players until they unexpectedly pelt you with a water balloon mid stride. I can only imagine what a great role model I look like right now, as the ringleader amidst a small army of children all armed and chaotically surging through the splash park. I envision terrified mothers snatching up their toddlers and taking cover while the war rages on around them.

Cherry Berry Cheers!
I try to maintain the situation and keep some control. The rules of being considerate of others and always picking up the remains of the balloons are frequently reiterated to all participants and seem to be followed by all. We go several rounds before we wrap things up and fill a final few balloons for a photo. The camera snaps the image and with only four balloons left the final standoff begins: Mathea throws her only balloon and it doesn’t break and is captured by me. I now carry three. Mathea is unarmed. Danae unexpectedly slams me close range into the gut, temporarily knocking the wind out of me. I recoil from the blast and return fire with a direct shot to Danae’s arm. It was a war of attrition though, as both sides are dripping wet.
Danae, Mathea, and me, a
Somewhat Responsible Adult
We roll towels across the pickup and make for Cherry Berry. The girls seem to be set on filling their bowls as full as possible without losing precious toppings off the side. The sun comes out to dry us as we enjoy our midday snack at a table outside. All too soon the day is coming to an end and we are back at the apartment saying goodbyes. I ensure the children are safe inside the locked apartment before leaving for Fargo. I make a call in to Amy to electronically pass the children off, as she will be home soon from work.

I'm back on the road for a familiar 75 miles south on I-29. Jaci, Hope, and I have a dinner date at Mezzaluna to catch up on life and share some laughs. Hope has a developing chain of boutiques, Lot 2029, the newest in Fargo. The store is doing great which is wonderful, but certainly not surprising. Hope is a beautiful and fun girl who embodies fashion and a knack for forming quick relationships with her customers with her sparkling eyes and bubbly personality. She and Jaci have formed a newfound alliance out of mutual love of fashion and general awesome personalities.  Hope had needed someone to help in the store and Jaci had needed a job so I hooked them up. Jaci is crazy/sexy/cool with a touch of awkward that matches me. We met in the pageant world and our mutual weirdness keeps us close. Tonight we enjoy a fun dinner and plan to meet up at the store in the morning. I am excited to see store 002 of Lot 2029.

Outside continues to be rainy and dreary so Jaci and I retire to the couch at her parents house for the remainder of the evening and do nothing spectacular besides change into sweats and watch numerous episodes of modern family. This happens to be one of my favorite things to do after long drives and great meals. Relax with good friends on comfortable couches.



No comments:

Post a Comment