Friday, March 4, 2016

5/24/2013. - Day 59 - And now, the rest of the story...

5/24/2013. - Day 59 - And now, the rest of the story...

For approximately a week I had been planning to play a practical joke on my grandpa's dear friend Bruce, aka "The Sniper." Over the course of the week I shared details and ideas with my grandfather who raised an eyebrow here and there but did not comment much on my plans. On the night of Bruce's birthday eve, I announced that I was going to drive to his house in cover of darkness and write "Happy Birthday" and some other less appropriate inside jokes on his windows with window paint. My grandpa nearly spit out his supper. Eyes wide, half laughing, half in disbelief, he advised me to absolutely NOT do that unless I want to get shot. All this time I had been telling him of my plans, and not until I am nearly at death's door does he state that the Sniper has strategically placed motion detectors on his property and likely doesn't tolerate uninvited trespassers very well. His timing is always perfectly calculated.

I'm briefly deflated because I had felt I had devised what was a pretty good plan. I asked my grandpa's advice on how to revise the plan in a manner which ended with everyone still alive. We discussed that I could go at dawn, with enough natural light to see but hopefully early enough that Bruce would not yet be awake. Bruce is a very early riser so my odds were slim. I took my chances.

Upon returning to the house from my adventure, I received a text message from The Sniper just as I slipped back into bed. I must have missed him but just minutes. His message indicated he knew what I'd done. It was moderately terrifying.

When I got out of bed for the second time that day, my grandfather was at the breakfast table. he announced we were going over to Bruce's later that morning to shoot. I stopped dead. I voiced that I was not so sure I wanted to go to Bruce's just so soon. But the day's plans were already set.

Today's shots and adjustments.


We packed up our gear into the jeep and drove the short distance to Bruce's house. There sat the van in the driveway, surprisingly sparkling clean.

Bruce's friend brought this
cutie over to the gun shack.
Bruce gave me one look when he emerged from the garage and then silently made his way to the shooting shack. I held my tongue until we were just about to leave and then added that his van looked really shiny. We all went into the garage to chat briefly before the end of our visit. I was cautiously optimistic that the joke had gone over well since I had survived the day together.



Borrowing Brooklyn for some
snuggles before saying goodbye
to Leslie.  
Later that afternoon, I met my friend Leslie and her dog Brooklyn for a walk on the Lakewalk. Spring surrounded us in the late afternoon trek and Brooklyn was excited to be out in the fresh air. We also made a pass through the Fitger's building to see Leslie's office and do a little shopping. After saying goodbye to Leslie and Brooklyn, I spent time at my aunt Lizette's home with her family to wind down the evening.

It was an early night since I had seen so much activity and started so early that day. Today was a good day spent with friends, family, and some sweet puppy dogs. The weather was nice, and The Sniper let me live to die another day.


No comments:

Post a Comment