Thursday, March 3, 2016

5/24/2013. - Day 59 - MORNING. With a backpack packed and a mark on the map, gonna drive too fast, gonna not look back...

5/24/2013. - Day 59 - MORNING. 
With a backpack packed and a mark on the map, gonna drive too fast, gonna not look back...

It's 4:20AM.  I'm quietly getting dressed. I make sure I have the window paint in  my bag as the pickup comes to life in the dew laden morning. The tires crunch over the asphalt as I turn and head to the highway. I turn again shortly, onto a road that will lead to my destination.

I pass the driveway and search for a spot along the road close by to conceal the truck. The morning is very new and the sun is not even visible, though it's light enough out to see. As quietly as possible, I shut the pickup door and walk in stealth mode towards the driveway. I have made certain to wait until morning light came to avoid tripping off the motion sensors that flood the area with light when it's dark out if an intruder passes by. I hope I have not waited too long that the occupants of the house will be awake and catch me red handed.

The driveway is steps in front of me, and beyond that the garage. Beside the garage sits the white van which is my target. It is the Sniper's work van, a large utility vehicle, and has on more than one occasion caused me to make kidnapper jokes because of its appearance. Hopefully my timing is right and the Sniper is not in the garage and has not stirred from his bed. I slink towards the van which is also in full view of the house. I'm shaking from excitement and nervousness.

I draw out the window paint from my pocket and hastily scrawl out a message, and add "free candy" for good measure. When I cannot bear my fear of being caught anymore, I turn and sprint through the wet grass and back to the road. I am certain I have never before nor will I ever again run as fast as I am running now. My heart is pounding as I push my legs to go faster and faster to get back to the safety of the pickup. Once inside I struggle to catch my breath in the cold morning air. I'm shaking from the excitement and nerve wracking adventure. After a few seconds, I pull out of the hiding spot along the road and return to my house, and my bed. Bruce's/aka The Sniper's birthday prank complete: mission accomplished.


No comments:

Post a Comment