Friday, March 29, 2013

3/28/2013. - Day 2 - In the Hall of the Mountain King.


3/28/2013. - Day 1 - In the Hall of the Mountain King.

Billings, MT to Seattle (Bothell), WA.

I’m going to preface this by saying that I’m not sure I’ve driven through the mountains before. I’ve done a little motorcycle riding through them, but nothing compared to this 13 hour journey. Not long after leaving Billings I could see the snow capped peaks of distant mountains--an absolutely beautiful way to begin today’s drive.


It did get a bit stormy not far into today's journey,  and I was a little concerned about crossing through angry mountains. I had visions of getting stuck in the clutches of the Winter Warlock. If this image is unfamiliar to you, I apologize for your sub par childhood. 







In between bursts of rain and snow, the mountain passes were exhilarating, especially since the speed limit through them is 75 MPH. I did check the rear view mirror a few times to make sure the bike was still riding back there after climbing through a couple passes.

 







I crossed into Idaho and was instantly in love with the sleepy little towns at the foot of the mountains and the smell of smoke that came from their chimneys. No cell service here but plenty to look at.

The esteemed 4th of July Pass was much less scary than I thought--Thank goodness since I was depending on modern technology to save me in the event of disaster. In reality, if things had taken a turn for the worst, I had no cell reception and I’m fairly certain I’m not coordinated enough to articulate a spontaneous mountain climb in search of the ever elusive “bars” of reception. Additionally, it was cold, it was getting dark, and I’m a huge pansy. So I probably would have huddled in my pickup and cried. Near miss. I'm unemployed now though, so at least I don't have to fill out a stupid form.




Washington state line finally. (Note to self: Do not attempt to tackle 13 hours of driving again in one day.) And then, surprise, another mountain pass. I'm proud to say I conquered Snoqualmie Pass in the dark. Interesting piece of knowledge—the area of Washington around this pass is completely and utterly pitch black dark at night. No light whatsoever. Creepy. But I did it. 

I had to stop only once in the dark, something I tried to avoid but couldn't. I found the most well lit establishment, parked as close as possible to the entrance, and literally sprinted to the door. Then sprinted back to my truck like a serial killer was chasing me. 
Safety. 

And a few more miles and finally—Seattle. Well, Bothell, but close to Seattle. And nowhere near sleepless after all that driving!

No comments:

Post a Comment