Friday, March 29, 2013

3/27/2013. - Day 1 - There are bugs on my windshield, and I'm not even mad.


3/27/2013. - Day 1 - There are bugs on my windshield, and I'm not even mad.







Mile “0” starts in Harvey, ND and it’s actually about 6° out but winter has been so long that it feels like negative 60. There is a thick coating of frost on my motorcycle this morning so I’m questioning the decision to bring it along given that I cannot check the ratchet straps for tightness because they are frozen.














Fast forward 250 miles and I’m almost into Montana and it’s 55°. No second guessing it now. Just a little warmer and I'm gonna have to break out the AC! I also have to share that while I was relishing this warm weather, pretty much a heat wave given the recent sub zero temps, I was confused when it began "raining." The "rain" however, was insects pelting my vehicle. Normally this would be an annoyance, but again, this means WARM. I'll buy some Simple Green later. Right now I don't even care.


I'm always in awe when I see the Badlands. I think living here, we really forget how neat Medora is. The Badlands are pretty cool, although I remember them being a lot more breathtaking from a motorcycle. Maybe next time.











Eastern Montana is a prodigal wasteland, although given the immense temperature change in only the first 100 miles (6° to about 40° from Harvey to Bismarck and climbing steadily since)—I’m also questioning why we choose to reside in the Northland when you only have to drive a few hours south and your teeth will stop chattering. And now I’m thinking, “Wow, this is way too much time in a car by yourself to sit and think about things.” It's going to be a real long rode trip, riding solo.

Good thing Billings was just around the corner to save me from my own thoughts! And with it, friends and good food and unfiltered conversation with laughs into the night.








If there’s one thing I realized I needed in planning out this trip, it was fellowship. I love the closeness of my small community, and the safety and the familiarity—but I was starved for fellowship with my peers. Day 1 reminds me that I am so thankful for all of my friends, near and far. And seeing the particularly glowing face of Tana Cornelius tonight has been such a blessing! †

No comments:

Post a Comment