Monday, September 2, 2013

5/8/2013. - Day 43 - "Watch out for those oak trees -- you won't win." Words from the wise.

5/8/2013. - Day 43 - "Watch out for those oak trees -- you won't win." Words from the wise.

I have selected today to return to Kiawah Island, based on the weather showing today as the warmest sunniest day this week. After taking Dodger out for a quick walk as my surrogate dog mom duties demand, I'm geared up and set to go. It's hot, humid, sunny, and perfect for a bike trip. The ride to Kiawah is gorgeous, and soon I reach the stretch of roadway that is lined with the ancient oak trees. As Jamie left this morning, she warned me to watch out for the oaks today, given their solid stature. I have noted this and maintain a respectful distance.

I reach Kiawah early in the afternoon and start to unpack my saddle bags. My beach gear comes out and my leathers go in. A school bus and it's passengers are nearby. The children are having lunch in the park prior to their departure. As the kids finish their food and file past me on their way to board the bus, one little girl tells me my motorcycle is really cool. I thank her and tell her she's a very nice little girl. The kids all stare as they walk past. My little sisters still think I am cool, too; and they still think I am a really good dancer. Either of those statements are debatable.

For those of you who know me, arriving at a secluded park, seeking quiet and nature--and instead finding an entire bus of loud, sticky pre K students--I was initially terrified. Deep breath in, deep breath out. I love kids. But I'm still young and selfish and immature to sometimes choose to like them only when it's convenient and I don't want quiet or order. I love them in measured doses where there is a pre set time when they will return to their owners. On this trip I'm not feeling exceptionally kid friendly because I don't feel like anything more than a kid myself; just a kid roaming the country in her pickup, learning about the world. I don't really want any responsibility today, even the responsibility of their curiosity and questions. We each keep our distance and then they are loaded up in their bus and off.

A sneak attack by a well camouflaged critter
I make the haul to the mouth of the river, scanning the sands along the way for treasures while simultaneously keeping an eye out for dorsal fins. The tide has receded far back into the sea and has uncovered a wealth of treasures amid the sands. I set up camp a short distance from the water's edge where the river meets the Atlantic and wait. Right on schedule, dorsal fins begin appearing, moving steadily up the river. People again start to gather at the shore but I hang back, acknowledging the dolphins need for space as they feed. I see one dolphin skimming the edge of the beach as he strands the fish he is chasing. It's incredible.

I sit and soak up the sun for a few hours. Today is full of time to sit and think and reflect on the past few weeks. I've enjoyed this trip more than anything in my entire life, but I'm also cognizant of the reality that I need to start doing at least a little bit of planning for the future.

I begin to make my way back to the park entrance, always scanning the ground. There are a multitude of starfish and shells scattered about the beach, along with a few other creatures. I'm mindful to carefully inspect all shells for sea life within.



The sun is hot today and the wind whips around fed by the sea breeze. I stop at Folly Beach on the way home and enjoy the lively atmosphere there. Of course I do a little beach combing because I'm a major addict. Between beach combing and searching for dolphins it's a wonder I get anything else done while I'm in Charleston.




The way home finds me smack in the middle of rush hour traffic, and on the bike. There are two lanes, with an additional merging lane to my right. We are bumper to bumper, and I'm sandwiched in the middle. And then sirens sound somewhere behind us.



Now there is NO place for any sort of emergency vehicles to go that I can see being physically possible given the current traffic situation. However, the merging lane starts to squeeze in towards my lane, and at the same time the outside lane also squeezes in. And I'm directly in the middle as the drivers force cars towards the center in all directions in efforts to clear a path. Sort of unnerving when you have little exterior protection.


I make it out unscathed and arrive back at my home for just a few more days days. Jamie and I make a meal from leftovers in the fridge and settle into our respective areas on the couch for the evening.

Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment