Monday, September 2, 2013

5/7/2013. - Day 42 - Not All Who Wander Are Lost...


5/7/2013. - Day 42 - Not All Who Wander Are Lost...

Neverland on King St.


















Some Charleston Character and Charm!






Today Charleston is having trouble making up its mind about the weather. About the time I get dressed and head downtown, it decides to cloud up and downpour. Then ten minutes later it is blasting hot and the streets and cobblestone are steaming with mist. Charleston has been very moody on this particular trip.



I have no direction today, I just want to wander downtown and see the sights I never get sick of seeing. I head down King St. and stop in the Magniflous Toy Emporium. It looks just like the toy shops you see in the movies.








There is a piano in the corner playing on its own, a big ferris wheel made of K'Nex, a gumball machine the size of a gorilla, stuffed animals, plastic dinosaurs, and other toys galore. The owner is characteristically wrapped up in showing a young boy the latest and greatest. It reminds me of Neverland and being a kid forever, which is my lifelong goal. I would like to live in here, but instead I buy a few things for my sisters and continue on.


I walk down King St., and venture into the older part of town to explore some of my favorite parts of historical Charleston. I love strolling up and down the old streets and alleys and gazing up at the old buildings with their iron detailing, overflowing window boxes, and colorful complexions. I have no destination and I weave up and down the lanes, sometimes parallel to the carriage tours and bike taxis who share the streets. The old churches and Cathedrals are striking, and some feature graveyards with headstones dating well over a hundred years back.











I head home in time to meet Jamie as she arrives from work. We head to Sesame Burgers with some of Jamie's friends who I've met on past trips. We enjoy the food and company, and of course the sun is shining gloriously so that doesn't hurt either. The night is dampened only by my realization that I should be departing in a few short days...

No comments:

Post a Comment