Tuesday, April 9, 2013

4/5/2013. - Day 10 - Fear and Loathing at Nike World Campus.











4/5/2013. - Day 10 -

Fear and Loathing at Nike World Campus.


We start here this morning, and of course Echo is raring to go and I am less than motivated. Echo is a super human being who does crazy things like run marathons and also frequents a running group. In Alaska. For real. We are somehow related I guess.

The Nike track is a nice outdoor wood chip trail that smells like cedar. It's crisp out, hovering at about 40°, and the air is fresh with a sprinkle here and there (welcome to Oregon). Halfway through lap one (approximately a 2 mile circuit) I'm panting and pretty sure I have blood in my throat. Echo is talking and running and beating me in stamina in both. In my mind it is not possible to do both, you have to either talk or run. Echo has evolved to a point she is fluent and can manage these activities simultaneously. After lap one I suggest a cool down lap. I don't need to cool, but I do need to breathe. Then we run more.


Karen and I enjoying ourselves way too much.
Afterwards, we return home and decide on lunch at Philadelphia's, an amazing place in Portland that serves delicious sandwiches. On the drive home we encounter what appears to be a trap for aged out flower girl wannabes--a magnolia tree. All I can see is giant flower petals and I'm pretty sure I said, "we need to stop because I want to get out and play in those." So we did!
Echo couldn't resist after watching us!



Later we frequent Poppa's Haven Coffee Shop, which is also great and kind of operates on a build your own drink and make your own flavors philosophy.





At the coffee shop, we meet a character who enlightens us as to the finer activities of Portland. He seems focused on food, specifically food carts, despite my persistent questions about shopping and recreation, which is glazes over and repeatedly returns to food categories. He does, however, produce one gem--the Alphabet District.












We set off for the Alphabet District, and of course, a stop here:
You might say I have a bit of a Francesca's obsession....

And the gals at the Portland store were so nice!



We hit a few more shops along the way, and baby Jeannette slept as we walked. All of us took turns carrying that little doll and she just snoozed away. We stopped for a photo opp at Kitchen Kaboodle to let grandpa know we were thinking of him. (Grandpa, your daughter and granddaughter climbed a pole just to get this picture in. Sorry about that.) We also met up with the beautiful Autumn Gray to catch up and wander the shops.

The night wound down with babysitting Jeannette and Echo and I staying up late like a middle school sleepover and talking into the night. I won't see this aunt of mine for a coon's age, so the sleep sacrifice is worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment