Tuesday, April 9, 2013

4/4/2013. - Day 9 - You have died of dysentery. Welcome to the Oregon Trail.

4/4/2013. - Day 9 - You have died of dysentery. 

Welcome to the Oregon Trail.


This morning in Seattle is raining but I'm not upset because it has been beautiful during the rest of my time here. There was a small setback yesterday, again which we will revisit, and also a lot of allergens in the air so I'm less than 100%. Portland is today's destination, and it isn't far, so I guess it's ok if I have to drive along in a drizzle, toting a fistful of lotion tissues. No big deal. 


I hit traffic seconds away from Bothell, and the rain had already become so bad that it had decreased the speed limit. Seattle has a fun system where they have LED signs on the highway and they can adjust the speed limit to fit the road conditions. Very crafty. 

Traffic stays heavy the majority of the drive. And it's gloomy outside with rain coming down most of the way and clouds hanging around and blocking the sunlight. 


Oregon. Here we are. And I made it without dying of dysentery. I am dying of allergen overload but this seems much more survivable. It's a quick drive from the border to Portland, and mostly through industrial areas which were not pretty. And it was raining. And my nose was running faster than half a box of Kleenex lotion tissues could withhold. Misery. 


















It's not difficult to find my way to my home away from home for the next two days. The trip has aligned perfectly with my aunt Echo's weekend visit to Portland. She and her friend Karen have come all the way from Anchorage AK, to welcome Karen's granddaughter, who is just five days old, into the family. Upon arriving I am immediately introduced to Jeannette, just five days old and barely 6 pounds--and beautiful. I immediately suggest a mommy/daddy date night for tomorrow so that we can have time to cuddle the baby! (and of course, they agree!) 


The rest of the night is low key, dinner and conversation and sleep. And of course, Echo reminds me that I have agreed to run, yes RUN, with her tomorrow. Yay me. But seriously, I'm overjoyed to get to spend time with Echo as our visits are so few and far between. Another blessing from the many this trip has already bestowed upon me. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment