Monday, May 20, 2013

4/17/2013. - Day 22 - Mind on a permanent vacation, the ocean is my only medication. Wishing my condition ain't ever gonna go away.

4/17/2013. - Day 22 - Mind on a permanent vacation, the ocean is my only medication.
Wishing my condition ain't ever gonna go away.

Today's adventure begins at low tide at La Jolla Cove. There is tons to discover this morning in the tide pools, rock caves, and just on the beaches themselves which happen to be occupied by MORE sea lions. The signs at this particular area warn adventurers to stay at least 50 yards away from the sea lions. I could have used this information sooner on my trip.

Tide Pool Life
The tide pools are filled with life and hold starfish, anemones, and small fish. I know enough not to touch the anemones and there is a great deal of slippery rocks to clamber over to get anywhere near most of these treasures, so I am kept at a distance--which in the case of the other wildlife, the sea lions, I am just fine with.


La Jolla Cove
As I explore the cove area, I look out over the water and see two figures swimming, yes swimming, from the distant beach. This is surprising because it's still fairly chilly out so early in the year. The swimmers are moving right through the sea lion territory, and towards the cove. I am intrigued. So many factors here: the water is frigid, there are sea lions all over the place, and who knows what else out there, not to mention it is a considerable distance from the beach to the cove. I wait while the pair makes their way to shore and approach a middle aged woman as she is removing her swim cap and goggles. I inquire about the swim and the sea creatures. She states that she swims every day, not matter the temperature, and loves it. She explains that for the most part the sea animals do not pose a threat, although she does say the sea lions will swim around you and brush up against you, and also tore a splint off of her finger once. She talks about the dolphins swimming with her at times, and also encountering small non aggressive sharks and rays. I am certain at this time I will not be going far into the ocean water even with the ever elusive promise of dolphins.





I ask about nearby tide pools and she points out two areas in the distance that are ripe with sea life. She also warns me to shuffle my feet as I walk in the beach areas to avoid startling sting rays and getting stung. Fantastic. I again make a mental note to try to remember to research local wildlife prior to entering their habitat. So far I am not on a good track record of remembering to do this.



The woman invites me to swim with them tomorrow and indicates the area where they meet in the morning. I tell her I do not think I will be much for swimming but I will certainly be exploring the tide pools. I am in fact a rather awful swimmer, and that's without the freezing water and threat of marine animal attacks. I thank the swimmer and decide to go stake out the areas she indicated would be fruitful with sea life and tide pools. Both are on either side of La Jolla Beach, and within walking distance from the parking lot. The first is near Scripps Park, down past the fishing pier. I survey the area and note that the tide is rapidly coming in so I will have to return in the morning. I walk to the other end of the beach and find a similar situation with the other recommended area. I will return tomorrow after I study the tide tables, something I have learned is very valuable when you are near the ocean if you want to avoid things such as missed wildlife opportunities, soaked beach items, entrapment on sand bars, drowning, etc. Not a bad idea to get a good look at local tide tables in addition to keep tabs on potential wildlife threats.


I do a little shopping in La Jolla, and then move to Mission Beach. It's sunny and gorgeous out and the perfect day for beach hopping. I caught quite a bit of sun earlier at La Jolla, so my stay at Mission Beach is limited, but I do make time for a small amount of shopping. Thus far, I have spent most of my shopping time looking for gifts and precious little on myself. I allow myself a hat from a local boutique so as to embrace my gypsy lifestyle. My thought is it will decrease a need to shower and/or comb my hair which is really just a formality when you are on the road. I pop the hat on and set off.





As I head back I find my way (independent of my GPS I might add) to the Gaslamp Quarter. On my last trip to San Diego, a little over a year ago, I enjoyed the atmosphere of this area and had to return. I spend some time wandering the streets and peeking in store windows and exploring shops. The energy here seems to always be exciting and nostalgic and I absolutely love it. I think I fall in love with San Diego more and more every day.

Fantastic Steak at the Strip Club 











No comments:

Post a Comment