Wednesday, January 1, 2014

5/11/2013. - Day 46 - Feel my way through the darkness, guided by a beating heart. I can't tell where the journey will end, but I know where to start... Headed west through the Cumberland Gap...

5/11/2013. - Day 46 - Feel my way through the darkness, guided by a beating heart. I can't tell where the journey will end, but I know where to start...

Headed west through the Cumberland Gap.

The final morning in Charleston dawns hot and humid, of course. Since I was already up til this morning, the second time I wake up it's time to leave. I bid Jamie and Dodger goodbye, something we are growing accustomed to and something that is less and less sad on this trip. I usually say "see ya next time!" because it feels so much more optimistic than "goodbye."

Today's route will cover a ton of ground: South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, Ohio, and finally, Indiana. I'm meeting my cousin, Ingrid, at the Notre Dame Campus. She will graduate in just a few days so we will get an evening of cousin time in tonight.

This is about a 13 hour trip. I feel like I decided weeks ago not to drive that much in one day anymore...But I guess I also decided to stay in Charleston an extra day so this is my penance. The scenery is gorgeous today and quite different from what I've driven through the last couple weeks. I pass through the Smoky Mountains and then move onto the Cumberland Gap. The views are breathtaking, with green as far as the eye can see and roads that wind through the land and carve out pathways through the mountains.






As I move towards Ohio and Indiana, there are gorgeous views of the sunsets from many of the bridges that connect city to city and allow for some bonus evening aesthetics. As the sun sets, the drive is getting long. I am also noticing that the temperature gauge seems to be broken, because when I left his morning it was about 83°---and it's now reading 38°.




It's not broken. And this is why I decided to stay on the coast one more precious warm day: Because I knew exactly what was waiting for me in the Midwest.


When I finally navigate the Ford to the Notre Dame Campus, Ingrid comes out to greet me in the parking lot--in her winter jacket. Unbelievable. Yesterday I was lying on a beach listening to the ocean. Today I want to lie on the ground and throw a tantrum. Before we can trek back to Ingrid's dorm, I have to root around the pickup to try to find some sort of a jacket and something warm to wear. I'm pretty sure I was wearing shorts during the drive--not because I'm naive and didn't check the weather; but because I'm optimistic and sort of stubborn.


We arrive at Ingrid's dorm building, and she and the other seniors are dwelling in the belly of the old structure in a dungeon sort of setting. It's creepy and cool at the same time, and also sort of nostalgic and for just a second I miss Selke Hall and UND. Wait, no, I miss meal plans at the Wilkerson. Nevermind.

I'm camping in the floor tonight in my sleeping bag and catching up on life with Ingrid before we both drift off to sleep. Ingrid is kind of awesome and after she graduates from Notre Dame she's going to med school.  And I'm unemployed.

No comments:

Post a Comment